WHO WE ARE
The Legal Centre Lesvos AMKE is a civil non-profit organisation, registered in Greece and previously operative as a restricted fund under the auspices of Prism the Gift Fund (UK). We are partnered with the International Association of Democratic Lawyers.
Since August 2016, we provide free and individual legal information and assistance to migrants who arrived by sea to Lesvos, where our office is based. Beyond this continuous and direct support, we work on documenting violations of migrants’ rights and engage in advocacy and strategic litigation to hold the Greek government, Member States of the European Union, and European institutions to account. In addition, we advocate for equal access to safe and legal routes of migration in Greece, Europe and globally.
For Legal Centre Lesvos publications, see our Report and Newsletter Archive.
Activity and Financial Reports:
- Activity Report/Απολογισμός δράσεων
- Financial Statement/Ισολογισμός: 2021, 2020, 2019
- External Audit Report/Εκθεση ελέγχου: 2020, 2019
- Partners and sources of funding
- The administration and management of the Legal Centre Lesvos, as well as the representation and funding of the organisation, belongs to the General Assembly, made up of its four Partners:
- Carlos Ernesto Orjuela (email@example.com),
- Norma Lea Jullien Cravotta (firstname.lastname@example.org),
- Laila Hashmi (email@example.com),
- Maya Zoe Alice Thomas Davis (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The General Representation of the Legal Centre is assigned by the Co-Partners to Maya Zoe Alice Thomas Davis.
- Καταστατικό της « Legal Centre Lesvos ΑΜΚΕ »
- Χρηματοδότες και Συμπράξεις της Legal Centre Lesvos ΑΜΚΕ
- Οργανόγραμμα (Νοέμβριος 2021)
- LCL Code of Conduct – Εσωτερικός Κονονισμός Λειτουργίας
- LCL Fundraising Guidelines
- ISO Certification
Towards a principled stance on the refugee question
The Legal Centre does not see itself as a provider of humanitarian assistance for the refugee population. We believe in solidarity, not charity. We are a legal and political project which aims to create meaningful change through advocacy, strategic litigation and engagement with the refugee movement.
With this in mind, the Legal Centre adopts the following principles which guide our work in Lesvos:
- Be in support of the right to peace and against the illegal interventions of the US and other NATO countries in Asia and Africa
- Defend the right to asylum and expand its definition to include at the very least the concepts of environmental and economic refugees
- Oppose the racist concept of Fortress Europe and the growing fascist movements which embrace it
- Oppose the EU Turkey deal and all deals which seek to send asylum applicants to third countries outside of the EU
- Support the securing of safe passage for asylum seekers wishing to travel to and within the EU to the Member State they consider appropriate
- Support the pro refugee movement and assist in its developing of a human rights and refugee oriented approach
The Legal Centre builds on the experiences of the Legal Centre in Calais, which has through its indefatigable efforts successfully assisted in the transfer of isolated minors to the UK, as well as the launching of investigations by the french authorities into acts of police and fascist violence against inhabitants of the camp.